*Looking for a good work opportunity *

Radhika Bhirani
~~ rbhirani@gmail.com

~~ "I live in New Delhi and working as a good writer looking for good gigs to write."
Don't go by the grammar! On a Monday morning, I'm just curious... and I wonder if taking a leaf out of actor Neena Gupta's famous, career-altering appeal for work on Instagram, would work for a common man?

"I live in Mumbai and working as a good actor looking for good parts to play," the actor wrote back in 2017, after which there has been no looking back for her. The least she did was ask.

The pandemic, unprecedented in its repercussions, and seemingly endless in its existence, has hit the country's employment sector hard.

Every glance at the LinkedIn news feed shows up at least 10-20 posts -- all earnest in their "looking out for new opportunities" appeals, sadly not just because they are chasing better opportunities, roles and salary prospects, but because they were suddenly rendered jobless.

Some got a day's notice, others a week, a month or some months, but the battle to stay afloat without a regular salary inflow, running a family, keeping mentally occupied and reinventing, has been real for a whole lot of people out there.

There are those who go all out asking for work, and then there are those who wonder if asking for work will dent their 'image'.

"A post asking for a job will make you undermine your own standing," I was told by a well-wisher in the early days of my 1 year of being out of a permanent job.

But you know what? There ain't no shame! And there ain't no pride in sitting on your laurels. I highly doubt the hesitation has ever helped anybody. It's that simple analogy -- if you don't knock at the door or ring the bell, how would you know if the door would open or not? Jobs don't always land in your lap on their own... lest in the middle of a pandemic!

Hanging in there is important. Not losing your self-confidence is vital. Not allowing self-doubt to creep in is essential. And hustling on is the need of every hour.

After 13 years of working in a fast-paced media environment, covering the highs and lows of the Indian entertainment industry as a journalist in reputed organisations, I found myself finding my way in the world of freelancing.

For a long time I wondered where I went wrong. Whether it was the quality of my work, or my interpersonal skills? Or maybe none? Maybe it was the people around? Sometimes, I wondered if my ideas seemed too serious for a field where gossip sells most. So, there was a whole phase of self-introspection. And while to some, it was futile, to me it was like a potion for rising like a Phoenix... for facing the reality and for just doing what my heart felt like doing.

It's going to be a year, almost. I've explored new formats, new avenues, new styles, and it has truly been a year of learnings -- unlearnings, relearnings and new learnings. Of experiences -- both good and bad. Of not differentiating between 'chhota kaam' or 'badaa kaam'.

It has been a roller-coaster ride, trying to tell myself everyday that hard work never goes waste, that patience and persistence pays and talent finds its way. And I have to say, it's paid off in ways I never imagined.

What helped? Relationships. Kindness. Visibility. Quality.

As a journalist, making contacts was my primary job when I started as an intern back in mid-2007. But over the years, several contacts unknowingly became bonds that I nurtured by not always treating PR professionals with crudeness, or treating seniors as demons, or treating juniors as imperfect, or making foes out of colleagues, or fawning over celebrities... It was simply by giving due respect, acknowledgement and appreciation where it was deserved. The result was a whole lot of organic support in getting me work and in spreading a good word-of-mouth without even asking for it.

That's how kindness pays. It never hurts anyone. People who I may have never even met face-to-face in all these years, rose to the occasion, shared suggestions, helped me push my luck, and made me realise how building relationships within and beyond your immediate workplace can go a long way in shaping your career. It can surprise you.

Talking of visibility. It was only after I moved out of my first job that I understood how visibility works in magical ways. I've told everyone who asks for my advice since... profile your work well, prepare a good showcase, make it look good on social media. There was a time when tom-tomming about your work was considered a put off, but in today's widely competitive world where 'out of social media sight is truly out of mind', it has become imperative to make yourself and your work visible. If nothing else, it ends up becoming a starting point of conversations a lot of times.

Soon after losing my job, I resurrected my dormant blog #CuriousCaseByRadhikaBhirani, simply with the thought of at least continuing what I love doing -- writing. And this time, the way I wanted to. Without being caught in the precincts of how, what and how much to write. It turned out to be something people were actually reading, and I've made it into my own little window into my thoughts and my work. The love and support has been encouraging to say the least, and the drive to make it bigger has been racier than ever before.

That's not to say I am now too comfortably settled in a freelancer's life, and not looking for a job. That fixed salary at the end of the month makes you heave a huge sigh of relief, I agree 100 percent. But I truly believe that until your several knocks at umpteen doors get answered, don't give up the reason why you loved being in a job, finding peace of mind by losing a little piece of mind bit by bit. Keep pursuing it. Keep upskilling. And keep the passion alive.

And besides asking for yourself, if you can help anyone, please do. Life comes a full circle... one fine day. Let's never forget that.

Comments

  1. your thoughts are inspirational for other freelancers like me. More power to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely piece..... your communcation and interpersonal skills can make or break your career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best Radhika 👍 strength and power to you. There are hidden opportunities in every crisis. I am sure you ll unlock few very soon.
    Avinash

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Things on Dilip Kumar: Garma Garam Khaana, but no Garam Kapda

Sonakshi Sinha: There have been commercial failures, but who hasn't that happened to?