Do you promise yourself to exercise every day, and don’t?

Radhika Bhirani
-- rbhirani@gmail.com
-- It’s an everyday story. I promise myself to put on my walking shoes and go for a 45-minute evening walk every day. It seems like a mission. And that’s where it remains -a promise unfulfilled, a mission unaccomplished.

Social media has been feeding me a heavy dose of fat-to-fit and flab-to-fab posts... In the real world, it’s more about flab-to-flabbier!

Masaba Gupta’s shrunken waistline and Smriti Irani’s body transformations were motivation enough to move my ass, literally. “When they can do it, I can do it too” is a moment that lasts in my head momentarily. Then the hardwired brain says, “I will do it tomorrow”. That tomorrow rarely comes.

Briefly, for a month between the Covid-19 waves last year, I made a routine of walking every day, coupling it with well-timed, well-balanced meals with adequate water. I lost 4 kg. The very visible result was there for all to see. But more importantly, for me to look into the mirror and tell myself, “This must not stop”.

An unexpected health complication put a screeching brake on my speeding health aspirations, marking a U-turn to the double chin, twin layers of belly fat, and the back bra bulge! Once again, I landed in the spiral to procrastinate my fitness goals. I’d go from one couch to another, and plonk... Plans for planks went for a toss!

In the period that I let go of my inertia, I wondered why something that could fit so easily into my day, made me feel good, energized, positive, and absolutely ‘yay’ about fitting into my old dresses, was something I did not really care about. I question myself everyday even now. But why don’t I still make a move?

If you’re in the same boat, read on to know what helped me overcome the fitness procrastinator in me:

Just Do It – The idea of making resolutions is always enticing: “I will start from August 1 or January 1”. And yes, that idea can change your life... but only if it happens. Stop waiting for a day, week, month or year. Remember that whenever you start, is your Day 1!

Action Before Motivation: It’s great if you scroll through posts that tell you about Beginner’s Yoga, How to warm up, An apple a day keeps the doctor away... but I can tell you from experience that the true blue motivation only comes once you are in action. It makes your dil maange more!

Don’t Give Up on Indulgences: C’mon, even Shilpa Shetty Kundra has Sunday binges! So, don’t give up on your tongue tantalizers completely. Just get the timing and quantity right. Eat that pizza, but not at 11 p.m., and not every day.

Little Things: Do whatever little that makes you want to pursue that walk, workout or water drinking even more - even if it means buying a new 1 litre fancy bottle, fitted joggers, sexy sports bra or snazzy sneakers, and putting them to good use. It helps!

Don’t Tell the World: Telling and convincing yourself is enough. The moment you tell the world that you plan to start a fitness routine ‘kal se’, it gives them a reason to nag or mock you for not living up to your word. They’re not being mean, but only persuasive for your benefit. But sometimes, like for me, it sparks reverse psychology. The more they say it, the more I don’t want to do it.

Comments

  1. This is such a nice piece Radhika. To be honest, I have been procrastinating since many months now but small steps count for sure. Thank you for this booster :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

*Looking for a good work opportunity *

Little Things on Dilip Kumar: Garma Garam Khaana, but no Garam Kapda

Sonakshi Sinha: There have been commercial failures, but who hasn't that happened to?